Thursday, February 23, 2012

Animal Area and Fireflies

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for stopping by!  I have to tell you, I am loving this whole blogging thing.  I hope to learn how to upload some of my printables very soon.  Check back again for things like that!
There were two activities that ended up being our favorites today!  The first one is math related.  We have been working on "area" of shapes.  The kids have really caught on to simple area, so I decided to challenge them a bit.  I gave them a piece of one inch grid paper. They had to use the squares to create one of the animals we have been studying.  After a practice sheet, they had to recreate it with markers on a new piece.  When finished, they had to document the area of their animal.  Fantastic job kids!!!  By the look on their faces, I know they were enjoying every minute of it!!   Take a look!!
practicing area with animal shapes
It's a moose, of course!

Cute Coyote!
Sweet Skunk!!


Terrific Turtle!

 Our next favorite thing was learning about fireflies!!!  Fascinating insects!  After reading some of our favorite firefly books and poems, enjoying interaction with a firefly in a jar, we practiced the firefly lifecycle, wrote a list of things that also light up the night sky (sorry I don't have a pic of that) and then worked on a craft connection.  The kids were given a paper jar to cut out...tricky cutting out the inside! :)  The jars were laminated and the film was left in the middle.  We then fingerprinted the wings of fireflies with glow in the dark neon paint. Add a silver sharpie body and voila!! So cute!!  The kids had a ball!! We will hang these from the ceiling!! 


Have you seen these?? Battery operated firefly in a jar!!  LOOOOOOVE IT!!




Glowing fireflies in a jar!

Another awesome day in first grade!!!  Thanks for taking a peek!! 
Have a Glowing tomorrow!!
Joyfully!
Nancy

11 comments:

  1. I really like your fireflies in a jar craft and poem. We are doing Buggy for Reading for Right to Read week with an Eric Carle twist. Can you email me the printables?
    karen.strawser@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the area!! We're getting into volume here soon, so I may have to "Steal" this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This area activity is adorable! I'm a new follower :) Come check out my blog and my 100th follower giveaway!

    Kaleigh's Klassroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also love the printables for the firefly activity if you don't mind. Thanks for inspiring me.

    wurtz@gotown.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you via Pinterest and pinned you too... like the others, I would love having a printable copy of your jar if you are willing to share. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love a copy of the printable firefly! Love ur blog!!!
    Thank you~ kate_christensn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a grea idea. I would love a copy.
    anncappsgraham@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your firefly art project! I am doing an author study on Eric Carle..may I also have a copy of your printables. Also, what did you use for the clear paper?
    Clmaniscalco@edison.edu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the firefly project as well! On camping lesson for summer and would really like to use your project. Can you please send me printable as well as supply list? Thanks cmoore43314@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What did you use for the clear paper? I have to do this! emmajharris34@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!